Our standard home inspection is anything but standard. We review all major systems of the home from top to bottom. Our inspections include inspecting the roof, exterior, windows, electrical systems, plumbing, HVAC units, garages, attics, basements, crawl spaces, chimneys, fireplaces, foundation, structure and more!
Surprise, surprise…different home inspection companies have different standards. Sure, the basics are the same as we all follow the corresponding state’s Standard of Practice (SOPs.) At CH Inspections our standard is far beyond the basic requirements and you should not have to settle for the base minimum.There are a few key questions you must explore to ensure you are getting a top notch services beyond the obvious pleasantries. Just remember that inspectors do not have to go out of their way to inspect every inch of your property or access difficult or unpleasant areas of your home. Here’s the service you should be getting:
When you are shopping around for an inspector (and you should as we are not all the same) make sure to ask the important questions. How is my roof going to be inspected? Most inspectors would observe from the ground as best as they can, but that’s frequently not enough. Our standard includes walking on the roof if the weather and slope permit, using tall ladders to properly access the eves of the roof and flying our drone to ensure every shingle is right where it needs to be.
Foundation/ Basement/ Crawl Space
Thoroughly inspecting the foundation, basement and any available crawlspaces is paramount to your safety and the health of the home. Most inspectors come and leave the inspection day in their clean and neatly pressed clothes, not ours. Our home inspectors make an impression when they arrive at inspection day, but leave much less impressive as they actually get into your crawlspace, your attic, the roof and anywhere else they are likely to find an issue. Making sure that your inspector is willing to do that is going to make a huge difference in your understanding of the home and avoiding a money pit.
Electrical and Plumbing
These two systems are like the arteries and veins of the home. Light and water at you fingertips in your own home brought in a huge leap in the human evolution. Imagine having to live 3-4 days without water or electricity…in this day and age it sounds impossible. Do not let that happen to you and your family. Most inspectors will check a few outlets and run your water in the home and conclude their inspection of these systems. Our standard includes opening and checking your electrical panel, water tanks for proper installation, availability of GFCI outlets in areas where water may be frequently present, and performing a thermal imaging scan to find moisture problems hidden behind walls.
Your windows, doors, fireplaces, chimneys you name it we inspect it.
Let us ask you this, what’s more important for your family than their safety, health and peace of mind? When it comes to your home and your family, don’t settle for standard, go for the industry’s best and you will be glad you did when your neighbors are spending their weekends bringing in contractors to fix the picture perfect home they just purchased. No home is perfect, but we educate you on issues that need immediate attention and pose a safety concern. During your inspection you will also learn how to maintain your property in top shape to avoid major issues in the future.
We understand that Ferrari you are gonna be keeping in your garage better be safe! But more importantly, we inspect the garage for any improper installations that can lead to fire propagation, physical dangers to children, pets and adults. We are also inspecting to observe if any combustion gases could be drawn up into habitable areas as they can be hazardous to anybody inhaling CO2.
Insulation and ventilation
We do our best to inspect for presence of insulation and vapor barriers
See our detailed list of items inspected:
Roof and Attic
- We walk roofs to inspect them. Some common-sense exceptions would be unsafe roofs, roofs not accessible with ladders, snow-covered, etc. If we cannot walk the roof, we will attempt to use our drones
- Gutters and roof drainage systems. Gutters can literally take your money down the drain
- Roof Flashing and Valley flashing- we check for physical damage, corrosion and proper installation
- Skylights, roof caps, roof vents, plumbing vents, and other roof penetrations are inspected
- Framing and sheathing
- Appropriate Insulation and ventilation looking for signs of moisture intrusion
Interior/Exterior (Thermal Inspection as a Standard)
- Ceilings, Walls, Floors, Doors
- Windows and Skylights, decks, balconies, patios and porches
- Stairs, handrails, and guards indoors and outdoors
- Counters and cabinets
- Vents, fans, kitchen exhaust hoods
- Kitchen appliances
- Drainage and grading that is likely to affect the building
- Retaining walls and foundation walls
- Outdoor vegetation that can impact the structure
- Walkways and Driveways
- Exterior and interior faucets
- Chimney crowns, walls and flashing
- Gas and Wood-burning fireplaces, stoves, and fireplace inserts
- Gas and Wood-burning accessories installed in fireplaces, such as gas logs
Basement / Foundation / Structure
- Foundation walls and Basement floor and structural components
- Crawl spaces
- Sump Systems, including the sump basket, sump pump, sump cover, and extension piping as well as any back up sump pumps available
Electrical and Plumbing
- Exterior electrical components, including the service drop, service entrance conductors, cables, and raceways
- The main panel and any sub panels for proper wiring and signs of potential issues
- Service grounding
- Interior electrical components, including the majority of outlets, switches, and lights and Ground fault circuit interrupters
- Arc fault circuit interrupters
- Smoke and CO alarms are recommended when not present (Safety 1st!)
- Water distribution pipes, drain, waste, and vent pipes
- Water heaters and tank-less water heaters
- Water heater vents and floor drains where present
- Washers and dryers installation
- Sinks, Toilets, Tubs (including jet tubs and Jacuzzi) and Showers
- We will also educate you on how your electrical and plumbing system work and show you the main shut off valves in the event of emergency
Heating and cooling
- Heating and cooling equipment such as furnaces, split furnaces, boilers, water heaters and space heaters. We inspect both the indoor and outdoor components, including units mounted on the roof
- Furnace and vent filters. We show you how to change them. We thoroughly inspect all vent
Garages and Outbuildings
- Garage/outbuilding door openers, including auto-reverse features
- Detailed indoor and outdoor inspection of all major components and systems such as doors, windows, roof, walls, floor, electrical, etc.